The Council for Public Health
The Council for Public Health is a ministry under the Minister in health and the Interior and strives to strengthen initiatives concerning promoting health, preventing illnesses and accidents in both social agencies and health services.
The duty for the Council for Public Health is also to:
· Advise land and municipal authorities in connection with arrangements promoting health and preventing illnesses and accidents
· To strengthen initiatives promoting health and preventing illnesses and accidents with consultancy and support for examination and development work across the country
· To initiate research and explanations, which should be a part of the overall arrangement concerning prevention or as a part of an evaluation of the current arrangements concerning promoting health and preventing illnesses and accidents
· To invigorate research and experiments in the preventive field
· To arrange for specific health promoting and illness preventative initiatives according to the public health plan presented by the Government of the Faroe Islands
The Council for Public Health is chosen every four years with one representative from the educational field, one from the social agencies, three health service employees and one representative from the police. The Minister chooses the 7th member, who has to have special insight in matters concerning the public and health. The Minister also appoints the chairman and the vice-chairman amongst the members in the ministry.