Alcohol and drug abuse
The Ministry of Health provides financial support for three treatment facilities in the Faroe Islands. These are Heilbrigdi, Blákrossheimið and Viðgerðarstovnurin Frælsi.
In the Public Health Plan from 2006, specific helath political initiatives were mentioned, which were to prevent alcohol and drug abuse in the Faroe Islands. These initiatives were:
- Provide information on alcohol and drug abuse
- Information on health complications due to alcohol and drug abuse
- The number of alcohol and drug free environments should be increased
- Treatment for alcohol and drug abuse
- Campaigns with focus on preventing alcohol and drug abuse should be strengthened. This especially concerns campaigns intended for children and young adults.
- The inspection on the import of illegal drugs should be more efficient and active